Friday, October 7, 2011

Vintage trunk love

trunkbefore_web

I found this aviator trunk from World War II at a flea market a couple months ago (it had pieces of the original shipping label still on it, so cool!). FOR $40!!! Flea markets usually bring out a fierce bargaining gene in me (from my mother's side) but I practically threw two twenties at the guy and carried this thing on my back the rest of the day. Well, not all day. And not on my back (thanks to my sister Kellye), but if I had to I totally would have!

Now what to do with it? Polish it up and stare at it's beautifulness was first on the list. I stared for a long time. What do you want to be lovely trunk? Then it spoke to me - I want to be an awesome console table with storage underneath to hide your husband's ridiculous array of playstation materials. I knew I loved you, trunk.

The problem was the size - not tall enough to be a table on it's own, but too tall to sit on top of any normal table. So I decided to take matters into my own I've-never-built-anything-ever hands, smiled really nicely at the Home Depot lumber guys, and attempted to just make a table that wasn't hideous. Oh boy.

trunkbefore2_web


And you know, it worked! Although a tad hideous, for my first venture into building stuff I'm just glad it's sturdy and level. :)

table_web


It seemed a little plain so I slapped some corner braces on the outside of a few slats to make a little lip at the top for the trunk to sit inside.

edge_web


Much betta!

close_web2



And the final before and after:

beforeafter1_web



I was so in love with this trunk and I'm so excited that it's now actually a functional piece of furniture. I think Jared was pleasantly surprised too, could I be winning him over!? Possibly so...

Moral of the story - if you can't find it, make it. Even if the end product is more on the slightly hideous side than you planned. If I can do it, I PROMISE, you can do it too. Home Depot is your friend. :)

3 comments:

megan said...

Beautiful. If I had been at that flea market with you I'm pretty sure a fist fight or maybe some mud wrestling would have ensued. I love it.

Unknown said...

love this redo and i would love to feature it on my blog if this would be ok with you please let me know.
lauren

myrtle said...

Oh my! I so love it.=D

Related Posts with Thumbnails