Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Basil, my love

Basil makes me happy. I love the way it smells and tastes, and the way it looks on my back porch! I grew these from little seeds and look how big they are now, I'm so proud!




I used Genovese basil which is supposed to be the strongest smelling and the best for pesto. It really is the strongest smelling basil EVER - even if I just brush my hand against it while I'm watering I can smell it on my skin when I go inside. So I made a little ritual of touching it on my way out to the car in the morning so I can smell the freshness, it's my favorite.

And it happens to be your lucky day my friends - I am sharing the pesto recipe I got in Italy when I studied abroad with you, the best pesto ever! And if there's one thing I know for sure it's that Italians know their pesto. Molto bene, buon appetito!


Fresh Basil Pesto

  • 2 cups fresh basil
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped pine nuts
  • 1 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 tbsp grated Pecorino cheese
  • 1 clove chopped garlic
  1. Mash basil into a fine paste (best to chop first, then grind with mortar and pestle, or just chop a lot!)
  2. Add olive oil, pine nuts, cheese and garlic. Mix well. (add extra olive oil if needed)
  3. Serve on hot pasta or chill for pasta salad.


Me, back in the summer, hoping my little basil seeds will grow!


2 comments:

Sharstin said...

Lori has made this recipe, and I think it is so delicious!! I am so glad that you posted it!!

Lindsey said...

Hurray for Santa Chiara! I'm so proud you didn't kill those little lovelies!

Related Posts with Thumbnails